Open Burning

The State Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows open burning to be conducted between January 15th and May 1st of each year. Permission may be obtained simply by calling the Joint Dispatch Center on the day you plan to burn at 508-647-9550.

Open burning permits may be issued for:
  • Training or research in fire protection or prevention with approval by the DEP.
  • Activities associated with the normal pursuit of agriculture which have been determined as necessary by the DEP. (Agriculture is defined as the raising of crops and livestock for commercial foodstuffs).  
  • Open burning of brush and trees resulting from agricultural land clearing operations.
  • Disposal of brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris – excluding grass, hay, leaves, and stumps.
Open burning may only be conducted:
  • During periods of good atmospheric ventilation as determined by the DEP
  • Without causing a nuisance
  • On land proximate to the place of generation
  • At a location greater than 75 feet from any dwelling, and
  • Between 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
A garden hose attached to a working water supply should also be present during burning operations.